The Portugal Golden Residence Permit Program is a five-year residence-by-investment program for non-EU nationals. The residence permit gives the right to live, work, and study in Portugal and allows free circulation in Europe’s Schengen Area. Furthermore, the program only requires an average of seven days per year stay in Portugal over this period, which can also count towards citizenship eligibility after five years.
- Visa-free travel in Europe’s Schengen Area and the right to live, work, and study in Portugal
- Low physical presence requirement (seven days during the first year of residence and 14 days for the two subsequent years)
- Attractive taxation system
- Eligibility to apply for citizenship after five years as a legal resident while keeping other citizenship(s)
- High quality of life, local cuisine and wines, rich culture, mild climate, and a high level of security
- Family reunification
The program’s qualifying options are:
- Capital transfer of a minimum of EUR 1 million into a Portuguese bank account or specifically approved investment options
- EUR 350,000 for research activities of public or private entities that are part of the national scientific and technological system*
- EUR 250,000 in support of artistic production or in the recovery or maintenance of national cultural heritage*
- EUR 350,000 for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital funds committed to the capitalization of companies incorporated under the Portuguese law, with a maturity of at least five years and with at least 60% of the investment portfolio in companies that have a head office in the national territory
- A real estate purchase with a minimum value of EUR 500,000.
- A real estate purchase with a minimum value of EUR 350,000 for the refurbishment of properties older than 30 years or in an area of urban regeneration, including the cost of renovations.
Creation of a minimum of 10 new jobs*
EUR 350,000 for the incorporation or increase of the share capital of a company that is registered in Portugal, creating or maintaining a minimum of five permanent jobs for a period of three years
*The threshold will be reduced by 20% should the funds be committed to a low population density area, defined as less than 100 inhabitants per km² or with a GDP per capita below 75% of the national average.
Procedures and time frame:
The residence permit is valid for a period of one year after issue and renewable for two subsequent periods of two years.
The Golden Residence Permit Program requires at least four trips to Portugal during the five-year period: twice at the initial application (to choose the qualifying investment and start the legal process, and to provide the biometric data) and at each renewal (year 1 and year 3). Family reunification is possible at any stage of the program.